torsdag 2 augusti 2012

New beginnings

I've been toying with the idea of making a blog to document my various creative projects in, so here we go. In here you will find mostly sewing projects related to my larping and cosplaying, but there might occassionally be other things as well.

I will strive towards being informational, both showing off what I'm doing and explaining how so that others might attempt it as well, should they be interested.

As I start the blog, I am in the very beginning of a brand new project. Last weekend I went to my very first convention, and I returned inspired. All the glorious geekiness has awoken my inner fangirl and I find myself wanting to produce fanart and gush over favourite characters again. All of the amazing cosplayers made me want to do it as well, create costumes of the characters and shows I love most.

As it happens, one of my absolute favourite shows is Dr Who. And I also happen to have eight meters of Tardis-blue fabric lying around. The solution is obvious!

Tardis cosplay.


Here is the plan so far. The shape of the dress itself will be fairly basic, with a ribbon to tie in the back in between the windows and the signs. The panels will be big pockets to hopefully eliminate the need to drag around a handbag as well. 

The shirt will also be made (or altered from an existing one, haven't decided yet) for the costume specifically, white blue detailing around the sleeve hems and collar. I'm hoping to find satin ribbon of a matching blue colour, otherwise I'll make the ribbon myself from the same fabric as the dress.

I'm also thinking of embroidering the police box text as well as the sign, rather than painting or printing it. It will be a lot more work, but it should do a lot for the overall impression of the dress in the end. So many of the dresses I've seen while googling for inspiration have lovely ideas, but come off as hastily thrown together. I don't want that. I'd rather spend a lot of extra time on making it perfect.

The lamp hat I'm thinking of making similar to those mini top hats that are so cute, only shaped like a tardis lamp. I'm toying with the idea of actually fitting a lamp inside it. It would be a cool detail, but on the other hand the lamp probably wouldn't be bright enough to show up if you're inside in a lit room, which I'll probably be for most of the time when wearing this. Is all that extra work worth it for something people are unlikely to notice? Maybe. I haven't decided yet.

I'm also thinking of making the petticoat for the dress out of a gold coloured material. Another funny detail that most people probably won't notice, and even if they do might not understand... So many decisions to make. But before I can even start, I need to head out and by a new roll of paper to cut pattern pieces from, turns out I lost the old one when I moved to this apartment.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar