tisdag 2 oktober 2012

Apron step one - complete!

I can't help but feel slightly guilty about using my grandmother's beautifully monogrammed bedsheets for sewing... But then again it is, as you can see in the top middle, worn out and ripped. Using old fabric that's already worn thin must be perfect for a garment that will be artificially aged to achieve just that look. :)

After comparing a few different pictures of aprons in the style I want, I put together a simple pattern sketch of one that should look nice but not require too much effort in putting together.

I'll admit that I didn't originally plan on crossing the ribbons in the back like that. I ended up cutting them too long, and rather than shortening them, I went for that solution instead. I think it also helps the apron stay on better than if they were straight down the back.


While sewing, I also took the time to try out tea dying a few scraps of fabric. I made two pieces. The first one was dipped in the tea for a while and immediately rinsed in cold water, while the other one was put down to dry still drenched in tea.


This is what they looked like once I put them down to dry. The one to the right is of course the one with the tea left in. Originally I thought it would end up far too brown, but when I later on rinsed the tea out and left it to dry overnight, it ended up a lovely brownish colour, while the one rinsed immediately was far too pale for my taste.

As I write, the apron is soaking in tea and I will soon take it out to dry. Photos of the entire thing will come once it's dry.

Next up: Experimenting with creating blood stains!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar