torsdag 20 september 2012

The joy of embroidery hoops


I have no idea why I never bought myself an embroidery hoop earlier. Working with it is wonderful! This makes me feel even more enthusiastic for future embroidery work. Making the Police Telephone sign has been a lot of fun, especially copying the lovely font of the top half of it. The lower part has a simpler font, without serifs and varying line thicknesses. To my surprise, the simpler font turned out to be the harder one to get to look good. With no frills and details, it's even more important to not have slanted lines that should have been straight and the letters the exact same size.

Still, making the sign has been a joy and I'm really pleased with the results so far.


Next up will be the little sign on the door, the one so many people seem to forget that it even exists. This one:


This will be an interesting challenge too. I'm not sure wether to work in black on white fabric, in white on black or do it with both black and white thread on blue fabric. Those tiny lions and unicorns will be fun to figure out! For those alone, I'm leaning towards white on black rather than the opposite.

Besides embroidery, I have also bought the fabric I'll use for the petticoat that will go with the dress, as well as a few meters of tardis blue satin ribbon, which will go on the sleeves and possibly the collar of the white shirt I'll wear under the dress. But back to the petticoat! Originally, I was thinking white for it. Then I saw this... 


How could I resist? I'm sorely tempted to use part of it to make a small hat veil as well. I imagine it'd look rather nice. It'd be a nice way to hint towards the shiny gold eyes people who interact with the heart of the tardis get. By all logic, the tardis itself if anthropomorphed would have them as well, but the real thing is kinda hard to do without CGI. :)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar